Sunday, April 17, 2011

Being healthy is important

God wants us to do our best for him, and he says in his word that our bodies are a temple in at least 3 scriptures that I can recall. 1 Corinthians 3:16 "Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?" Then in 6 :19 it says "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, Whom you have received from God? You are not your won;" and in 2 Corinthians 6:16 it says "What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For you are the temple of the living God as God has said 'I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people."

It is important to know that we are the temple of God so that we can treat ourselves as such. However these verses are only half of the story If we read on in each passage we will see how we are to treat the temple of God. 1 Corinthians 3:17 "If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred and you are that temple." 6:20 says "you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." 2 Corinthians 6:17-18 "Therefore come out from them and be separate, Touch no unclean thing and I will receive you I will be a Father to you and you will be my sons and daughters says the Lord Almighty"   

There is much background info here that one may need to know to understand about the temple to sum it up in what I like to call the short Andrea Version. When you entered the temple you brought your best you wore your best and you gave your best.  Back to 2 Corinthians in chapter 9 verses 6-8 "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things you will abound in every good work." Most people look to this verse when they are talking about giving monetarily or tithing however it is a wonderful verse to look at when we are referring to ourselves and what we are to give to God and how we are to treat his temple. If we put into our bodies junk and don't exercise we are going to get the effort in return in the way our bodies look and feel. (just in case you were wondering I am talking to myself as well.)  However if we put in the best and give our best to exercise then we will get our best.

I have felt horrible for months it has been hard for me to get up and do what I know I need to do to take care of myself and my family and although I do have a few medical concerns that have nothing to do with healthy eating and exercise in the last few weeks that I have been trying to drink more water, exercise everyday, and take quiet time with the Lord in the mornings I have felt quite a bit better and able to glorify Him more often in my life. Doing work for God is what my purpose is for me and my life and in that I need to take care of my family first I have figured out that much and to think how much better I could do this if I were running at 100% everyday instead of the 75% I have right now. I will leave tonight with one last verse it is 1 Peter 4:11 "If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God, if anyone serves, he should do it with with the strength God provides, so that in ALL THINGS God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen."

___________________________________________________________________________________

just a couple of links you might be interested in

5K John and I will be participating in anyone is welcome to join us
  http://www.toledozoo.org/events/dartfrogdash.html

And the podcast I am using to work myself from a walk to a run
       http://runningmatemedia.com/

                                                                                   

1 comment:

  1. "you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

    I really like this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete